[ale] OT: offline malware removal tool for windoze

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:45:53 EDT 2007

pls don't flame me for asking this but...

one of my son's teachers asked me to look at her laptop which I would
ordinarily NEVER do but she is a teacher & her son is one of mine's friends.

anyhoos, I booted it (off our network naturally) and am running what tools
it has on it (M$ & Brave-Sentry?) but the BS thing won't remove anything w/o
activating (paying) & apparently M$'s won't work offline.

this thing is owned bigtime to the point I'm afraid to plug it into my
network at home (forget about work) for fear it could be a pron zombie
(which happened to someone I know in '03 & they're still dealing w/the legal
fallout but at least aren't in prison - yet...) - I don't have any specific
reason to suspect it is other than Brave-Sentry(?) has found 67 pieces of
malware on this thing, several of which are zombie-warz.  I could/would
install other/better tools but I'm afraid to connect this thing to the net.

does anyone know of any malware removal tools I could run from a CD/offline
(ideally booting from it as well)?

I'll tell her to get legit anti-virus/etc but at this point I don't trust
anything that's running from within windoze to fix the problem.

thanks for any advice!