[ale] OT : smartphones

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 15:34:41 EDT 2007

I juat got a Moto Q smartphone with Windows Mobile 5. Overall, I'm pretty
impressed with it. I can sync with my Google Calendar and with Outlook at
work. I use GMail via POP3 and that works just fine. Google Maps works
beautifully. Navigation is very easy. There are a couple of major letdowns:

1. no Java
2. the clock has very small numbers
3. I haven't found a way to use GTalk

But the Q is a relatively cheap device and it does a lot. I'm still trying
to set up ways to exchange files from Linux. One poster reported that
syncing was easier with Linux than with Windows Vista!