[ale] OT:Policy change in usage of emoticons

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Fri Aug 10 19:54:04 EDT 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007, Brian Pitts wrote:

> I normally enjoy the off-topic discussions of a technically-minded group
> of people, but this kind of message isn't why I subscribe to ALE.

The Flash was kind of obnoxious, but I don't see a big problem with it.
Properly labled OT and at least it it ain't politics!

> I did learn from it that the colon and parentheses are rendered by
> Thunderbird as graphics. If you want to disable this transformation of
> emoticons:

Heh, you must have upgraded recently too.

A recent hardware upgrade forced me to do the OS upgrade I had been putting
off allmost forever. *Only* 2 1/2 years old, and I sure as heck was not
going to reinstall it:) Any way, was quite surprised to see KMail now
displaying emoticons as tiny pictures.

Initially turned them off until realized what a great evangelizing tool the
annoying little things are. "See honey, Linux can display these /cute/
<cough> little things too. Just like XP."
--
William "Can I puke now?" Bagwell