[ale] Motorola releases new Linux mobile platform

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 01:14:28 EDT 2007

Just in case any of you wondered why I chose to rejoin the cable
industry with Motorola...Daniel

Motorola Releases Mobile Linux Platform
By Teresa von Fuchs
WirelessWeek - August 09, 2007

Motorola has announced its mobile Linux platform, called MOTOMAGX. The
release of the new mobile operating platform will be on the new ROKR Z6
and the followup to the RAZR, the RAZR V8. The V8 will be the company's
first Linux-based handset available in North America.

"At Motorola, we know that software is just as important as
hardware-through the introduction of our MOTOMAGX platform, we are
reinforcing our firm commitment to Linux and empowering our developer
community to innovate with us in exciting new ways," Alain Mutricy,
senior vice president of platform technology at Motorola's Mobile
Devices, said in a statement.

Motorola also announced that over the next few years it expects up to
60% of its handset portfolio to be based on mobile Linux.

Motorola's MOTOMAGX platform is designed to support content created by
third-party developers; the platform supports applications developed in
Java ME, with plans to introduce new WebUI and native Linux application
environments in upcoming releases. To encourage third party development,
Motorola has also announced its MOTODEV Studio integrated development
environment, to facilitate innovative and timely applications.

"MOTOMAGX, when paired with the tools and support from our MOTODEV
Developer network, provides a powerful platform for innovation," Christy
Wyatt, vice president of  ecosystem and market development at Motorola,
said in a statement.

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO