[ale] NFS question

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:24:05 EDT 2007

I have a slackware host with a 300 gig drive mounted under /home/export
which I am sharing with an Ubuntu box running Zoneminder surveillance
system, where it is mounted under the /var/www/zm/events directory.

On the slackware box, the exports line looks like this:

/home/export   192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0(rw)

(I've also added the "nohide" and "no_auth_nlm" at various times to the
export line, with no change in the behavior of the mount)

and the line in the Ubuntu box's fstab which mounts the share at boot
time looks like this:

192.168.0.3:/home/export   /var/www/zm/events nfs rw   0   0

and mount reports:

192.168.0.3:/home/export on /var/www/zm/events type nfs
(rw,addr=192.168.0.3)

By all indications, I should be able to write to this remote mount, but
when I try to copy any file to that directory, I get this:

dabaron at video:~$ cp /tmp/zmdc.log /var/www/zm/events
cp: cannot stat `/var/www/zm/events/zmdc.log': Permission denied

What am I doing wrong?  When I've exported disks between slackware
hosts, the exports line only needed the (rw) option enabled for the
remote host to be able to mount and access the filesystem with no
problems- am I missing something under Ubuntu?  I've noticed that the
behavior of "sudo su" is different, among other things, on Ubuntu, is it
something different with mounting a nfs volume, too?

Thanx in advance folks.