[ale] vmware - make a usb key required for software license available?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Aug 8 18:35:18 EDT 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> We have vmware installed with some Windows virtual environments running
> a software that requires a usb key license to run.
>
> Is there a way to make such a usb key license available to any or all of
> the virtual environments?

I've had to do this running Windows in Parallels on a Mac. The key
dongle worked as long as it was connected to the computer AFTER windows
was started. I'm not certain if VMware works in a similar manner. I
suggested to Parallels that there should be a way to select usb devices
that, if already connected, would be automatically "transferred" from
the host to guest OS, but as far as I know this was never implemented.

-Brian