[ale] OT: Voting machines cracked in California

Marvin, International Martian of Mystery marvin.higginbottom at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 16:35:04 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 13:53 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> This reminds me of the old Lou Grant show where they did a story about
> nuclear weapons.   The folks that had access to the weapons design
> information said it was easy to get but thought it was hard to get the
> fissionable material.   The people who were custodian of fissionable
> material said it would be easy to get but thought it was to get the
> design information.   Essentially the guys guarding each side both
> said their side was fairly easy to compromise but weren?t worried
> because they ?assumed? the other side was hard to compromise.

Ha.  That funny.

I remember when I was a kid you could get the schematic diagrams for
whichever of the Hiroshima bombs was based on the gun/target uranium
design.  You could also get the plans for the plutonium-based spherical
implosion device of the other bomb, but seems to me the gun/target
configuration would be the easiest to realize- and in lots of sizes,
too.

You could get this probably now-banned information from the world-book
encyclopedia.