[ale] OT: newsflash: Microsoft is still the devil...open source beware

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Wed Aug 1 17:43:16 EDT 2007

Steve Brown wrote:

> I think Jonathan makes a valid point about the M$ bashing; I mean, did you
> read the Groklaw article? The person comes off sounding very immature,
> although his points may be valid. He uses the word "stoopid", nuff said.

I'm sure PJ, the founder of Groklaw and author of that post
(who is female, incidentally), used the word "stoopid" with
specific intent.  She's a lawyer (or possibly a paralegal,
I forget), and those folks generally know how to use language.
Attributing idiomatic language to a particular group (in this
case, the group being "clueless people who think M$ is on
the level, in spite of much historical evidence to the
contrary") is a rather common literary trope.

IMO, for the OSI to certify a license as "open source compliant"
which contains a provision that licensed software was only allowed
to be run on Windows systems, would be stoopid indeed.

-- JK

--
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be
dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens