[ale] OT: newsflash: Microsoft is still the devil...open source beware

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:00:59 EDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Randy Ramsdell <rramsdell at livedatagroup.com> wrote:

> Good point as you know more than I about how JAVA broke in my case
> because none of the other brokers could even come close to a solution
> except to say that I must use microsoft's JAVA implementation. Isn't
> that, in effect, the subtle technical error that might be the goal. One
> does not have to completely break compatibility, only make it difficult
> to work around, either by misinformation or play on the masses desire to
> just simply use their products instead of fix all the compatibility
> issues.

So is it your assertion that Microsoft forced the brokerage to use Visual
Studio to develop applications using extensions that everybody and his uncle
knew were limited to certain VM implementations? Or is your anger somehow
misplaced? Does Microsoft have a division consisting of armed thugs that
travel around to various businesses and force them to use their software at
gunpoint? Do they fly in in black helicopters? If I agree to use their
software, do you think they'll let me go for a ride in one?

The point here is that emotional arguments are frequently devoid of fact and
logic, and do nothing to further the cause of the person presenting them. In
some cases it can even backfire. Sometimes the worst enemy of a message is
the messenger.

--
Jonathan