[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:47:53 EDT 2007

I'm not disagreeing w/you nor am I encouraging people to run Oracle on
non-certified distros/versions (though I have w/o issue before) - you just
happened to touch a nerve w/me (Oracle "support").  to be somewhat fair, I
don't see how you could possibly get competent Oracle people to do support -
Larry couldn't pay me enough (or at least he certainly wouldn't be willing
to offer what it would take).

I've had my share of pain w/Dell too but thank goodness I don't have to
handle my own hardware anymore (or at least rarely).

we've also had several vendors that are RHAS only and won't even support
SLES.

finally, I don't think Oracle is anywhere near M$'s level of evil - they
don't require activation keys or "genuine advantage" to patch, they aren't
jumping on the frivolous patent bandwagon (though potentially at their own
peril), they put out comparatively little FUD, their core product actually
IS the best at what it does (even if expensive) and as a bonus has never
been used to launch a massive DOS attack against the internet.

full disclosure:  my wife worked at Oracle for almost 10 years (apps
presales) but this gave me an insight into that company most customers never
get.

my bottom line:  they are arrogant, but not evil (at least not in the M$
sense)...