[ale] Suse vs. Ubuntu. Is is worth the time to switch to ubuntu?

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:50:15 EDT 2007

while your points are factually correct I would argue that Oracle Support is
pretty much worthless for anything beyond basic install/config issues anyway
(at least w/DB, apps may be different).  I've been an Oracle DBA for 10 yrs
now and I've yet to have them actually solve a problem I couldn't myself or
get from a group like this.  in my most recent TAR I was getting 600s during
"alter database open resetlogs" (this is profoundly BAD for you Oracle
moguls) and they were asking me things like "um, does the directory for the
redo logs exist?" (um, yes & that wouldn't throw a 600 anyway) and "um, can
you send us the alert file?" after I already sent them the udump (if you've
never seen an ORA-00600 in an alert file all it says is "ORA-00600 - see
this udump for details")

that said, we do run our Oracle on SLES so we can at least have the chance
of them helping on the rare occasion we do log a case...