[ale] OT Interesting statistic

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Apr 30 10:47:02 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 10:41 -0400, Jim Moore wrote:
> A 2007 study by Clemson University found that the average American
> walks about 900 miles per year.

Possible.

Last year I went on a diet and decided to walk around my neighborhood.
I calculated that on the course of the diet I walked the equivalent of
Atlanta to Orlando.  I'm still walking and running now.

In September I took an eXplorist 210 GPS to Disney world.  Reset the
trip and put on my hip.  That evening it read around 10 miles.  We had
gotten there 2 hours late and left 1 hour early.  We could have easily
added 3 miles.

If you walk and average of 3 miles per day then you can easily hit 900
in a year.