[ale] Using the VT capability of the CPU...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 18:19:51 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 11:32 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:

> Well, I remember
> http://linux.inet.hr/finally-user-friendly-virtualization-for-linux.html
> being a good article. I'm planning to try
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM once my finals are over.
> http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/ looks informative.

That last site does look like it will be extremely resourceful.  Thank
you for that link.

I managed to get a copy of XP running under the KVM, but it required
some trickery.  Also, there was a bit of a performance issue with the
kernel losing interrupts, but I found a post somewhere on the 'net
(don't have the bookmark handy, unfortunately) that said to enable RTC
emulation in the kernel to fix it and gain a significant amount of
performance.  I am about to try it to see if it works the way the site
said it would, because I rebuilt the kernel and flipped that on.

It's interesting how easy they've made it to build a custom build of the
Ubuntu kernel.  Of course, you lose restricted-modules, but they provide
those modules in singular packages, and a program called
module-assistant, that really takes out all the fun (e.g., makes it
incredibly simple to manage).  I was quite pleased, because I didn't
want to try messing with a stock kernel... last time that didn't turn
out so well on an Ubuntu system.  :-)

Anyway, we'll see what happens...

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!