[ale] Using the VT capability of the CPU...

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 00:40:55 EDT 2007

Alright, so I have a problem and I am not quite sure where to find the
answer.

This block of classes requires me to spend a particularly disturbing
amount of time inside of Windows.  Now, I don't really want to do that,
obviously, because when I am in Windows I can do nothing else, because
everything is actually in Linux.  I could use QEMU and Win2k like I did
before I bought this computer, but I found out yesterday that I have a
CPU that supports hardware virtualization (AMD, that is).  What I would
like to know is how to take advantage of this, and what the issues are
surrounding it, perhaps comparing it to a purely software VM like QEMU.

I have looked at Xen lightly, but it looks like I am going to have to
build a kernel myself and the like, because the kernel that is installed
with Xen on Ubuntu is an older one.  :-/

First off, do CPU-assisted VMs also partition the actual hardware of the
machine to share between both operating systems, or does the host system
emulate resources like the NIC, HD, BIOS, etc. for the guest system?

I am sure that there are other things that I should be asking, but I
don't even know what they are.  Anything would, of course, be helpful.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!