[ale] Bootable linux distro that can access mac formatted Unix drives?

Brian Pitts bpitts at learnlink.emory.edu
Fri Apr 27 18:36:26 EDT 2007

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> Thanks for the leads.  I should have been more specific - I'm on the
> MacIntel platform and none of my linux boxes (gasp) can recognize the
> disks.  They see the partitions are Apple created; but fdisk can't
> access them.
>
> I'll check out pdisk and see if I can build it for Intel platform.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kind regards,
> Chris Bergeron

MacIntel is completely different; you do not want to use mac-fdisk or pdisk.

A quick summary of where partition data is stored:

PC's use part of the Master Boot Record. The is what fdisk and parted
can operate on.

 From the Macintosh II until the switch to Intel, Apple computers used
the Apple Partition Map. This is what mac-fdisk or pdisk can operate on.

Intel-based Apple computers use the GUID Partition Table. Parted can
also operate on this.

Intel-based Apple computers that the Boot Camp software has been run on
have a hybrid GUID Partition Table and Master Boot Record. AFAIK there
is no linux tool that can operate on this and keep it in sync; you need
to use parted and then run gptsync from http://refit.sourceforge.net/

I hope that is helpful.

-Brian