[ale] Printers stink

Dow_Hurst dhurst at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 27 11:45:28 EDT 2007

James,
We have used the Xerox Phaser 8500 and 8400 color lasers for a while now.  They work great with Linux since they come postscript enabled, networked, and with a bunch of printing protocols for connecting machines.  The cost between the 8550 and the equivalent HP is that on the front end the Xerox is a bit cheaper.  The supplies cost the same between the machines when you look at the drum kit life, ink cost and so on.  The only caveat is that Xerox has a one year warranty and after that you really need to buy a hardware support contract for $250/yr from a Xerox qualified printer support company.  If you do that then it is really a great printer.  Without the support contract, it is too expensive to fix due labor and parts being way high.  So far we have had three hardware issues out of 5 printers in 2.5 years.  With the support contract there is no cost outside of the yearly contract fee.  The solid ink is fantastic for color prints and is way nicer than HP.  I've given up on keeping inkjets running well for now.  The printheads and ink cartridges go bad quick if you use them too much or too little.

I'm always interested in lower wattage, high quality printing, postscript enabled, networked color laserjets!
Thanks,
Dow