[ale] Printers stink

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 27 09:20:01 EDT 2007

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I have a small squadron of HP inkjet printers. They are all similar in
> that they use the same model ink tanks and print heads. I specifically
> got them so they would be compatible.
>
> Lately, the newest one, officejet 9100 all-in-one, reports that the
> print heads are nearly dead and is printing quite crappy. This
> particular machine has been problematic from day one. In fact, this is
> the third one as the first and second were replaced under warranty
> (total print system failure - nothing would work).
>
> So here I am trying to get something done and all I get are streaky
> pages.
>
> So I run the printhead cleaner.
>
> no changes
>
> run the HEAVY printhead cleaner
>
> no changes
>
> run the gawd awful use half the ink cleaner setting
>
> no changes
>
> System says print heads are shot.
>
> Buy new print heads (second batch. First batch "died" within 3 month/400
> pages of new system).
>
> NO F***ING CHANGES!!!
>
> At this point I'm ranting all over the place about the lousy quality,
> yada yada yada...
>
> So I grab the can of flux remover and 4 cotton swabs and clean the
> contacts for the print head connections.
>
> It worked!!  Now the printer reports all print heads are OK and it
> prints without great streaks of missing cyan, black and yellow.
>
> I really think my next print system is going to be one of Xerox crayon
> printers. I've had enough of HP.

I take it that you HAVE to do color printing.  If you don't you should
really consider a laser printer. They have come down in price, yes they
cost more up front but it's cheaper per page. Doesn't suffer from head
blockage, dried up ink, and the host of other ink jet issues.  I bought
a Brother on sale at staples about a year ago for $89 on sale.  Toner
cartridges are about $50, prints about 5 reems per cartridge.  It's even
Linux compatible.  ;-)

Get the network version of the printer above and have all B&W go that
printer and keep a couple of the HP Inkjets on a print server (linksys
or something) and direct all color prints to those.