[ale] Back to needing direction on virtual hosts again. :(

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:20:22 EDT 2007

This is what part of my virtualhosts section looks like:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/myhost
    ServerName www.myhost.com
    ServerAlias myhost.com *.myhost.com
    ErrorLog logs/myhost-error_log
    CustomLog logs/myhost-access_log common
    ServerAdmin serveradmin at myhost.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/otherdomain
    ServerName www.otherdomain.org
    ServerAlias otherdomain.org *.otherdomain.org
    ErrorLog logs/otherdomain-error_log
    CustomLog logs/otherdomain-access_log common
    ServerAdmin otherdomain at myhost.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost mark.myhost.com:80>
    ServerName mark.myhost.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/myhost/mark
</VirtualHost>

WMM

On 4/26/07, Jim <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:

> I thought I had it figured out, but no, no such luck.
>
> I had successfully added a subdomain and thought adding a domain would
> be a cinch.  Here's my futile attempt (names changed to protect the
> guilty):
>
> NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80
>
> <VirtualHost >
>     DocumentRoot /var/www/
>     ServerName farghnough.com
>     <Directory /var/www/>
>         AllowOverride All
>         Options FollowSymLinks
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from All
>     </Directory>
>
>     DocumentRoot /home/civil/public_html/
>     ServerName civil.farghnough.com
>     <Directory /home/civil/public_html/>
>         AllowOverride All
>         Options FollowSymLinks
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from All
>     </Directory>
>
>     DocumentRoot /home/curly-onions/public_html/
>     ServerName curly-onions.com
>     <Directory /home/curly-onions/public_html/>
>         AllowOverride All
>         Options FollowSymLinks
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from All
>     </Directory>
>
> I've registered curly-onions.com, set the name servers to a couple of
> freedns servers, configured freedns to point to my VPS system
> farghnough.com's IP address and when I go to curly-onions.com, I get the
> home page of farghnough.com, so I know all that is working.
>
> Additionally, the civil.farghnough.com subdomain reference works
> correctly, that is when you reference it, the data comes from the
> /home/civil/public_html directory.
>
> However, curly-onions.com brings up the home page of farghnough.com and
> the name displayed changes to farghnough.com.
>
> I must be missing something trivial but I can't seem to find it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jim.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2