[ale] Back to needing direction on virtual hosts again. :(

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Apr 26 08:47:45 EDT 2007

I thought I had it figured out, but no, no such luck.

I had successfully added a subdomain and thought adding a domain would
be a cinch.  Here's my futile attempt (names changed to protect the guilty):

NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80

<VirtualHost >
    DocumentRoot /var/www/
    ServerName farghnough.com
    <Directory /var/www/>
        AllowOverride All
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from All
    </Directory>

    DocumentRoot /home/civil/public_html/
    ServerName civil.farghnough.com
    <Directory /home/civil/public_html/>
        AllowOverride All
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from All
    </Directory>

    DocumentRoot /home/curly-onions/public_html/
    ServerName curly-onions.com
    <Directory /home/curly-onions/public_html/>
        AllowOverride All
        Options FollowSymLinks
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from All
    </Directory>

I've registered curly-onions.com, set the name servers to a couple of
freedns servers, configured freedns to point to my VPS system
farghnough.com's IP address and when I go to curly-onions.com, I get the
home page of farghnough.com, so I know all that is working.

Additionally, the civil.farghnough.com subdomain reference works
correctly, that is when you reference it, the data comes from the
/home/civil/public_html directory.

However, curly-onions.com brings up the home page of farghnough.com and
the name displayed changes to farghnough.com.

I must be missing something trivial but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for any help.

Jim.