[ale] Linux + Verizon EVDO modem?

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Wed Apr 25 17:52:55 EDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 03:39:34PM -0400, Robert L. Harris wrote:

>   It seems I'm taking a trip next week for business.  Out of paranoia I am
> concerned about network access.  I have the USB Data cable for my phone and
> an LG 9800 phone setup with Verizon.  I have the supposedly unlimited EVDO
> network but have no idea how to actually use it to connect directly instead
> of dialing PPP to a conventional modem.  Has anyone set up something like
> this to use the EVDO network with Linux?

I have the Verizon e815 phone and a USB cable and have used it as a
modem to access their DUN (Dialup Networking) service which is
available to all customers at no extra charge, except for minutes, but
is quite slow.  I've written up a recipe for use on my web page,
    datix.us
under the tab Cphone/mdm.  This is for Fedora Core 6.  Hope it's helpful.

I don't have EVDO service here and am not interested in paying extra
for that.  DUN is OK for emergency use, and is universally available.

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us