[ale] quick poll - what monitoring tools do you use?

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:20:01 EDT 2007

At my previous job, I set up Hobbit Monitor  to monitor ~30 Linux servers,
plus external services such as SMTP, HTTP, and DNS.  The server ran on a
PIII 500MHZ machine with 384M RAM just fine. I chose it for the following
reasons:

   - good dashboard-style web GUI (reminiscent of BB)
   - ease to manage (server-central config,  plain text)
   - historical trendlines by RRDTOOL are built-in for many tests.
   - quick results (monitoring of processes, log files, services are so
   easy)
   - easy to extend
   - open-source. I got to peek into the C code to figure out a thing or
   two at times.