[ale] what is a good offsite back up proposal?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Apr 20 12:25:37 EDT 2007

Offsite backup can be as simple as doing daily backups to tape and
sending them offsite for storage (companies like Iron Mountain do the
storage).   They can also be as complex as using EMC's SRDF to do remote
data copies of the underlying disks from one Symmetrix to another at an
offsite location.

For the size you're talking about I'd definitely look into commercial
backup software like NetBackup.

Another idea we're actually planning for now is to use DataDomain
(commercial) deduplication strategy.   This backs up data to the
DataDomain hard drive storage but due to the deduplication allows one to
get very high compression (after the first backup) because it only backs
up blocks (not files) that have changed since the previous backup.  I've
seen people report as high as 40 to 1 storage for Oracle databases.
We'll use this as our primary backup medium then use NetBackup's
vaulting tools to duplicate that data out to tape for offsite storage.

Of course there are other disk array makes such as Hitachi Data Systems
as well as other backup software vendors such as Legato and also other
folks doing deduplication or other appliance backup things such as
Sepaton or NetApp.