[ale] Thanks Re: OTQ: partition formats of USB storage

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 09:37:01 EDT 2007

Ahhh, not I see what you were going after.

If/when the current drive dies, yes all you should need to do is pop the
case open, remove the current drive, then put a new one in its place.

I've only ever made my own external drives, personally: grabbing an
enclosure from NewEgg, and slapping a drive in I already had (or buying any
of the many choices they had:) )

But so long as you don't have one of the weird acrylic cases for your drive
(they're a bear to yank apart without breaking), swapping-in a new drive
should be a piece of cake.

Hopefully, though, you won't need to do that for a long while.

Warren

On 4/18/07, John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Warren, Greg and Geoffrey -
>
> Thanks for the comments. I just bought the drive and have no experience
> using it, which probably contributed to my poorly framed question.
>
> I was really curious whether a replacement drive going into the same case
> would need special prep before installation.
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
> > On 4/17/07, John Mills <johnmills at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
> > > I just bought a USB external HDD by Seagate, based on a presumably
> > > standard 3.5" drive. If I had to replace the drive, any idea how the
> > > replacement should be partitioned?
>
> I think this is most likely:
>
> > 1) The external unit is very bare bones and all it does is convert the
> > SCSI commands on the USB/firewire bus to the equivalent ATA commands
> > that the drive needs.  For these you can partition the drive anyway
> > you feel like.
>
> Best,
> - Mills

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2