[ale] Car PC's and internet radio?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Apr 17 10:58:07 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:47 -0400, Ned Williams wrote:
>         Save a few hours of your fav net radio "channels" to HD
>         and play them back via CD or Line-In or MP3-Player.
>         It's not like they are really live anyway... (most of them
>         are not.. at least, not the bad techno/trance/ambient
>         channels I listen too).

That would work too.  When I travel I do not take my Roady 2.  I have
configured my laptop in the past to record streams and convert them the
MP3.

I have not found a program smart enough to understand spaces between
songs or talk.  What I did was write a perl program that would run
record for 1 hour.  It then issued the key sequences to quit.
Immediately he would start record up again.  When he finished N hours he
would convert to mp3 and delete source files.

I've never had much luck editing very large audio files.  I could have
edited a large file, found the break, and cut the file.  The problem
I've ran into with editing large files is that it always took too much
memory.  Eventually the box would be thrashing to disk and the system
became too slow to be usable.

I primarily recorded XM 150 (uncut comedy).  The breaks was not much of
a problem.