[ale] OT - alright... google is fun...

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:07:25 EDT 2007

they'll do basic flight searchs if you type a pair of airports in the main
search box (ie JFK to OGG)

WMM

On 4/13/07, George Allen <glallen01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like, since they index everything else, they could index flight
> paths
> (or shipping routes) also. Say, if Lufthansa always flies out of NY to go
> Berlin, but Air France might fly out of both NY and ATL, but only goes to
> Paris? This might be more of another layer for Google Earth though.
>
> Seems that Google could probably wring out a few more advertising dollars
> if,
> when they detected an ocean in the way, they injected flight/shipping
> listings instead of swimming directions.
>
> -George
>

> On Friday 13 April 2007 12:03:32 Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 10:36 -0500, Preston Boyington wrote:
> > > 1. http://maps.google.com/maps
> > > 2. click on "get directions"
> > > 3. type "New York" in the first box (the "from" box)
> > > 4. type "London" in the second box (the "to" box)
> > > 5. scroll down to step #23
> >
> > I saw that a few weeks ago.... at that time, as now, I thought this was
> > nothing but laziness on Google's part.  Rather than intelligently
> > determining if point-to-point travel can be completed, they inject
> > waterways into the process.  Note: it would be interesting to know why
> > they don't make up waypoints too, instead of routing you to the nearest
> > city on the coast before injecting the waterways.  I mean really, if man
> > can travel across water so easily, why direct his travel along roads and
> > highways in the first place?
> >
> > -Jim P.

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erd?s
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2