[ale] OT: U.P.S. Recommendations

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Apr 12 16:43:40 EDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Bob Toxen wrote:

> Some of the previous posters make good points about very sensitive
> equipment and generators.  (I have yet to try driving my UPSs from
> my fairly new generator.)
<<snip>>

> 5. Analyze your rat's nest of wires.  Make sure that wires outside of
>   UPS-protected circuits are at least a foot from wires that are
>   inside protected circuits.  This is to reduce the chance of a direct
>   hit causing an spark around the UPS.  Many people forget this step.

Hmmm. Haven't done this. Forget about forget, it never even occured to me.

> 6. If you have long runs of Ethernet cable, consider having each end
>   go through a surge protector to protect against induced surges.
>   One friend got fried equipment by forgetting this.

Been there, done that, repeated and got both t-shirts. Just double
checked, still haven't learned my lesson. Must be a slow learner...

Got a decent source of twisted pair ethernet surge protectors to mind?? I
can think of one dummy (me) who would like to know, and I'm sure some
intellegent sorts might also...

<<snip>>