[ale] OT: U.P.S. Recommendations

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Apr 12 08:06:47 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 07:05 -0400, Dan Lambert wrote:

> If that's the case, James, then your generator needs to be adjusted. It
> should come up to speed and stabilize at 60Hz, +/- 1HZ to be correct.
> What is generally more of a problem with generators is the AVR
> (Automatic Voltage Regulator) sensitivity. Some generators have to have
> a minimum of double the capacity of the UPS just to have enough
> available energy to handle the inrush when the UPS tries to synch with
> their output and return to "normal" mode.

I have a 15kW natural gas fueled automatic generator from Guardian (the
high-end version sold through Home Depot). This model is the largest air
cooled available. The price jump to go liquid cooling was substantial
enough (nearly 40% at the same power rating) to be suspicious about the
overall generator. So once it was in, _then_ the data comes out that the
air cooled models have a much less capable generator design than the
liquid cooled ones. So much so that it was not recommended to use the
air cooled models to support computer equipment because of the
instabilities of the sine wave.

So now I'm on the hunt for affordable power conditioning to resolve the
crappy generator issues.

Grr.
--
James P. Kinney III