[ale] OT: U.P.S. Recommendations

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Apr 11 22:02:08 EDT 2007

Aaron -

What you probably want are "true online" UPSses - marketroidese for
UPSses that run the load off their inverters all the time.  This is
distinct from the typical APC/Belkin stuff that still has a "burp" when
they switch over from direct to inverter, relying to some extent on
systems' power supplies' tolerance for burps and perhaps even
ferroresonant transformers (meaning that they use transformers whose
electromagnetic circuit is designed with a built-in 60Hz "tuning fork"
effect.

I tend to recommend Liebert (now part of Emerson Electric) for Serious
Shiznit.  See
http://www.liebert.com/dynamic/displayproduct.asp?id=513&cycles=60Hz

- Jeff