[ale] Hooking up SCSI appliances to USB/IEEE1394... possible?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:26:54 EDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Michael B. Trausch <fd0man at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Okay.  This is probably going to sound a little bit crazy.
>
> I have a computer that has a copious amount of USB ports, and a IEEE 1394
> port, but no PCI, PCIe, AGP, or ISA expansion slots.  I am actually fine
> with this, because converter adapters exist for virtually everything.
> Except, I cannot seem to find one that I want.  It isn't critical, so if
> these do not exist, it's no big deal, but I would like to hook up an
> external SCSI device (a scanner) to this computer.  Is there anything like a
> SCSI host adapter for USB or IEEE1394 that would enable the scanner to be
> used?
>
> If not, that's fine.  It's just that this scanner works with SANE and I
> don't want to have to research another one for this computer when I can move
> the one that is already hooked up.
>
>     Thanks!
>     Mike

Never used one, but a quick google for "usb to scsi adapter" seemed to find
many.

http://www.cwol.com/usb/usb-scsi-adapter-adaptec.htm

FYI: Both usb and firewire typically carry SCSI protocol commands, so there
really should not be much involved in an adapter.  ie  Your question is sort
of like saying I need a converter for cat5 to Coax for tcp/ip traffic.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group