[ale] Free X11 server for Win32

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 00:55:52 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 21:57 -0600, JK wrote:

> Really?  I install Cygwin as a matter of course whenever
> I'm confronted with a Winblows box, and the net installer
> makes it pretty trivial to do.  Of course, it really helps
> to have a nice 10Mbit pipe to suck it through :-)

I've used Cygwin in the past myself, but I've found that the combination
of PuTTY and Xming is far easier to configure and maintain when working
remotely from different locations.  After I had found Xming, I only ever
used Cygwin once, I think.  Though, the system I just bought the other
day might wind up getting Cygwin put on it; I can't get rid of the
Windows partition on it just yet, because the wireless card needs
Windows to init (D'oh!) before the Linux driver can do anything with it,
and the Windows driver is NDIS 6 only (which ndiswrapper doesn't
support).

There are other systems from the BSD family that claim to support this
wireless chipset, but the only problem is that I can't use those systems
without losing my 3D-accelerated graphics, unless I run a 32-bit
operating system...

Oh, how I look forward to the day when people can exercise absolute,
complete, and unrestricted freedom of choice while retaining some level
of convenience...

    -- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!