[ale] Installing Linux on Compaq

William Bagwell rb211 at tds.net
Sat Apr 7 12:40:25 EDT 2007

On Saturday 07 April 2007 12:07 pm, zeb wrote:
> I have a Compaq sr1650nx on which I wish to install Linux. ?The Compaq
> comes with WinXP installed on C:/ (hda1) and a "recovery partition" on
> D:/ (hda2). I have a new drive that is not yet physically installed. ?I
> want to add Linux to this box without messing it up. ?Any suggestions
> will be greatly appreciated.

Plug in the second drive and go for it! Seriously, I have never had a Linux
distro break Windows. There are some choices you can make during the
install that *can* hose it up good. So pay close attention to what it
suggests during the install.

What distro are you planing to install? Can make a big difference, and
someone who is familiar with it can probably give better, more specific
advice. Most installers will see both the existing Windows partitions and
the empty hard drive. How it conveys this information to you and what
exact choices it gives vary widely.
--
William