[ale] OT: Forget Comcast, I wanna move to Germany!

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Apr 5 14:46:43 EDT 2007

The law that prevents it is called the Constitution.  The government is
not allowed to "search and seize" without due process.   The fact that
someone chooses to collude with illegal NSA requests doesn't make such a
request legal.  The fact that they saw it necessary to change their
policy suggests that they knew they were doing something that could
probably be challenged in court just based on their own policy so they
were likely violating civil code as well.

Notice that others such as Google are doing the right thing by
challenging such illegal requests in court.

However my original suggestion didn't mention the law - it was about the
power of the consumer to vote with their feet.  In my post I didn't say
take them to court - I said to drop their services until they understood
that there was a "cost" of asserting non-existent ownership rights.

The fact is until this story broke it didn't occur to anyone that we
needed a separate law to make corporations deny such requests.  In the
70s the CIA was found to be spying on Americans wholesale and was quite
properly IMO admonished for this.  Having an agency hundreds of times
larger do it doesn't give me much confidence about that agency's
"defense of freedom".
As we told Fujimoro in Peru - you can't protect democracy by
overthrowing it.