[ale] OT: Forget Comcast, I wanna move to Germany!

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 14:30:36 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 14:23 -0400, Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Based on that logic your Doctor should be able to tell anyone he wants
> that you have herpes.   You were in his office and used his diagnostic
> tools to find out about it.

Except that there is a LAW to prevent that.  There is no law to prevent
AT&T from communicating information to whoever they want, except for
some customer data (i.e. credit card number, ssn, etc.)  Blame congress
if you feel there is a need for a law they haven't provided.

> The "network" they "own" is interconnected and regulated by the
> Government.  The "bandwidth" for wireless is also owned by "the people"
> and licensed rather than owned by them.   Even the landline uses
> "public" right of way so is not truly "owned" by them either.

:-) right of way is licensed.  Complain to your county/city
commissioners.

> For all these reasons telecom is and should be regulated.

Agreed.  If they aren't regulated blame your local/state/fed
representatives.

> They are selling a "service" to me - that does NOT give them the right to reveal details of
> how I use that "service" to third parties without my consent in the
> absence of the due process provided for in the Constitution for
> obtaining warrants.

Why not.  What law/contract prevents them?   Don't blame AT&T for not
violating any laws that don't exist.  Place your blame where it belongs,
not where you feel it should be. ;-)

-Jim P.