[ale] snort / snortsam run as non-root user?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 11:58:56 EDT 2007

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> We?re preparing to install a server with Linux and then load snort and
> possibly snortsam.   Can these be run by non-root users?
>
> My security admin wants to own the OS (e.g. have full root access)
> because he believes he?ll need it to use these products.

better qualified persons than i will respond, but i am curious...could a
virtual machine be used in this situation to safeguard yourself while
appeasing the other person?  although it might not fit your particular
situation..

(and in case anyone is wondering "appease" was my random word of the
day)  ;)