[ale] [ot?] Python question

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 13:37:52 EDT 2007

I already asked the Python mailing list, and it seems that they are
unwilling to help.  Basically, I have a situation wherein I have a
binary file (a JPG in this case) that I want to add to a string which
contains Unicode, in order to send to a server.  The server doesn't seem
to accept Base64 (or quoted-printable, or any of that stuff), so I need
to send the raw binary image to the server as part of the message.
Python tells me that this is an error:

>>> sb.UploadSinglePicture('/home/mbt/IMG_2618.JPG')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "scrapbook.py", line 181, in UploadSinglePicture
    {Request['UploadPic.Meta.Filename']: pic_mem})
  File "scrapbook.py", line 237, in ComposeMIME
    return(self.EncodeMIME(fields, files))
  File "scrapbook.py", line 226, in EncodeMIME
    body = eol.join(L)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0:
ordinal not in range(128)

I am aware that the binary file contains sequences that are neither
ASCII nor UTF-8 or any other encoding.  That's not really the issue?I
just need it to work.  Are there any ideas?  I have not, as of yet,
found the answer on Google, though I have found tons of complaints
regarding similar situations.

    ? Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch
                    fd0man at gmail.com
Phone: (404) 592-5746
                          Jabber IM:
                    fd0man at gmail.com
              fd0man at livejournal.com
Demand Freedom!  Use open and free protocols, standards, and software!