[ale] HOW2 install BellSloth DSL for Linux ?

Justin Haygood jhaygood at spsu.edu
Thu Sep 28 18:16:58 EDT 2006

0. The Static IP is free for DSL Xtreme 3.0+ customers
1. Their
modems are both Ethernet and USB
2. The modem does the NAT, easy to
disable. I'd rather get a rotuer have that do the PPPoE (My Belkin 54g
router does it at my house)
3. No need for PPPoE on client..
dedicated machines are better.. less CPU usage.

> I just set
this up for a client (on HellSouth near Conyers).

> 0.
Consider paying about $5/mo for a static IP
> 1. Get Ethernet
modem, not USB
> 2. VERY IMPORTANT: have 'em NOT do NAT'ing; you
DO want your Linux box
>    to do the firewalling and, maybe,
operate some network daemons
> 3. Roaring Penguin PPPoE
>

> Btw, we were using Slackware.  I'll be switching to this myself
as soon
> as I have time.
>
> Bob
>
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 06:07:58PM -0400, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>> I'm supposed to get DSL service next week and would appreciate
those
>> that've
>> been down this road to relate
what must be done re:hardware & software