[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE (last one, I promise)

Sean Kilpatrick madscot at oppositelock.org
Thu Sep 28 09:38:45 EDT 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 08:04, Jerald Sheets wrote:
| What we have to realize, though, is there are clearly two very ?
| distinct camps with very distinct needs. ?Inaction (i.e. doing ?
| nothing) will drive away a subset of users that have come here for ?
| help and either a) receive some with great difficulty of finding it, ?
| or b) get none with the added plus of being derided for asking simple ?
| questions (not my words).

Jerald,
First, let me state the obvious:  I am not a Geek. (IANAG) :)

If it weren't for my son and the members of the ALE list,  I would be
hard pressed to continue using Linux as an operating system.
(I ran screaming away from Win95 to OS/2 more than a decade ago and
hope and pray I will never have to go back to an M$ OS.)

But I must say that I have never been insulted on this list.  My
questions, basic or complex, have been answered without rudeness or
attitude.

If a poll were taken, I'd vote to leave the list the way it is. I
haven't worn the paint off the "Delete" key yet and the only problem
I have had with the fluff is the reluctance of some to CHANGE THE
SUBJECT LINE when the thread wanders afield of the original topic. :)

The Ale LUG _is_ community, warts and all. In its own way, Ale is
sorta like a church: we have the entire range represented from
theologians to those who can't even be bothered to actually read
the Bible/Manual.
   And along that line of thought I was pleased to see that I am not
the only one who has been late to discover the "info" pages -- and
that they are (sometimes) more up to date than the man pages. :)

Sean

Note:  The only reason the paint hasn't worn off my "Delete" key is
that this six-year-old keyboard is an IBM model and is built like
the proverbial masonary men's restroom.