[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 22:30:58 EDT 2006

On Sep 27, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Michael Still wrote:

> Hi Jerald,
>
> I have not done this but sounds feasible.
>
> A solution to the moderation problem is to have ale at ale.org be an
> alias, where delivery is to two destinations.  One being to a list
> containing subscribers who wish to receive all content (un-moderated),
> another to a new list such as ale-moderated.  This second list would
> have all moderation rules applied, but reply-to and what-not
> (X-headers) would still be associated with the ale at ale.org name.  In
> this case ale-moderated should not accept mail from any destination
> other than being forwarded by the alias expansion in order to keep
> direct posting from occurring.
>
> Then people could choose which list they want to be on in which case
> our current ale membership would by default be on the un-moderated
> version.  They would then have the option to move to the moderated
> list if they choose to.
>
> Mailman might not support this out of the box, but I think if
> implemented would be the most transparent way to implement moderation.

I like this idea A LOT.  People with more experience in Mailman than
I, how easy/feasible might this be, and have you done this, Michael?
It's certainly a non-intrusive thing to try.  Archiving only the ON-
TOPIC stuff, and killing the fluff, posting that to an external,
subscribable list.  I like.

--JMS