[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Sep 27 20:53:35 EDT 2006

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 16:53 -0400, usmpiano at aim.com wrote:
>> I agree that the list has WAY too much unfiltered useless traffic on
>> it. I actually would prefer a IPB forum format, something that is web
>> based and centralized over distro lists.
>>
>> I don't look at this a "community", I see it as a technical resource.
>> I'm not here to hear your views on President Bush, what the Dow is
>> doing today, or how Fluffy the cat is doing. I come here to watch Q&A
>> about Linux/UNIX fly by, hoping that I can glean some knowledge out of
>> them. As it is, I have to scroll through dozens of post a week that I
>> really don't give two shakes about.
>>

>> I welcome the day the moderation comes in here.
>
> Hmm. A post from an address that doesn't appear in the 3669 messages I
> have archived...
>
> Most people post an introduction before they start in...

Come on James...

> When people get the newspaper, they get the entire newspaper, not just
> the sports section even though that's all they read. Sorry if it's just
> too much effort to hit the delete key on the fluff posts that are such a
> trying PIA for the whiners.

Hmm, I don't know that I would want current technology based on that
technology.

And when folks pay for cable they get 2 channels they actually want.
Doesn't mean that's the right way.  As far as I'm concerned, I should be
  able to select the channels I want and just pay for them.

> An alternative option is for everyone who doesn't like what ALE has
> become to go away. They can always search for that little nugget of info
> they want using google to dig through the archives. That way they can
> skim the cream without having to churn the butter.

True, and to be honest, I've considered, more times of late then I
should think necessary.  So we have two options now.  Should we call for
a vote?

1. Moderation
2. leave if you don't like it.

--