[ale] New Mailing List initiatives for ALE

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 27 10:31:24 EDT 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, and I use those terms of endearment advisedly.

I have to echo many of the opinions stated herein by Mr. Kinney. I don't
want to have anyone deciding what is fit for me to read, nor what topics
I should be able to discuss.

I'm as guilty as anyone else regarding OT posting, but let's be
realistic. there is a lot of banter on her by many who would consider
themselves the foundation of this list. Not all of it comes anywhere
near the central issues that bind this group together.

I have recently left two lists that were originally open moderation type
lists, and both of which went to a full moderation status because of off
topic posts. When that change occurred, the whole dynamic of the list
changed, and they essentially died. The only ones left were those who
considered themselves to be the gurus of the list. The off topic posts
weren't a problem, other than the fact that they disagreed with the
moderator's opinions.

What this list represents is community. Wider than just Linux, and wider
than just professional association. Many on this list have friends that
were made, and conversed with, on this list. It also represents the
best, and most open, forum for a new Linux user to come to for
encouragement and knowledge.

One of the lists above referred to, is a technical list, similar in
scope, but on a different topic than this list. When the list went to
full moderation, new users ceased to post questions for fear of crossing
the boundaries of impropriety. The moderator instituted a rule that each
member had to post once per month to insure participation. What happened
was that the vast majority of new members quit the list after their
first month because they weren't comfortable in that environment. 95%+
of them were gone by their second month.

If that's how anyone thinks this list should be run, go ahead. I'll go
ahead and find a friendly list where I can be a member of the community.
I won't let the door hit me on the way out.

Dan