[ale] Scare tactics

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 18:29:33 EDT 2006

About the only reason you would be "more secure" running Linux online
instead of Windows is because the Windows viruses can't infect your
machine. But, any system that isn't maintained well is vulnerable to
attack. If you don't keep up with security patches, you will be
regretting it.

Since you are on dial-up, at least that is the way it sounds, you
don't have to worry too much about people hijacking your machine to
act as part of a botnet. You just don't have the bandwidth they need.
However, someone might take an interest in it for a while to use it
for executing an attack and covering their tracks.