[ale] RHEL on PowerEdge servers from dell outlet

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Sep 26 11:29:45 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 11:19 -0400, Jerry Yu wrote:
> I am tasked to purchase a few Dell PowerEdge servers, cheap. Dell
> outlet seems to be a natual choice. I wonder if any ALEr wants to
> share his/her experience with 'scratch/dent' versus 'certified
> refurbished'.   A good bargain comes & goes so fast on their site. Any
> known trick to pull to ensure I get what I want w/o refreshing the
> page every so often (manually or using curl)?
> I heard some horror stories about other outlets simply stamp their
> returned servers as 'certified' w/o going through really fixing up.
> Thus comes another question, how do people test/stress/prep the server
> for RHEL AS 4.4 installation?

Make Dell install it. Then it is their problem if it doesn't work.

If you want to save some $$ on a decent server, build it yourself or
have it built locally from commodity parts. That way you have a full
list of installed parts, model numbers and can get access to
replacements in a hurry when needed.