[ale] Any PPP-versed people here?

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 00:29:44 EDT 2006

Jason Fritcher wrote:
> Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>> However, there is a bit of a problem:  GNOME's network properties
>> quite happily offers to set up PPP for me, but it does not work.  I
>> looked at the chat script it uses, and it just looks for CONNECT
>> and passes off to pppd, it appears, but what I need it to do is
>> enter the username and password, look for "PPP", and /then/ hand
>> off the connection to pppd.  I cannot find any options for that in
>> the configuration program, and I do not remember hardly anything
>> about setting up PPP links by hand.  I am using Ubuntu (Dapper), so
>> if there is something that elegantly fits, that would be awesome,
>> but, honestly, anything is better than nothing at all.  :-)
>
> Are you sure that you need to use the chat script to login before
> starting up PPP? Every modern modem pool in existence should
> recognize the PPP start message instead of a username and switch to
> PPP mode. That's how Dial-Up Networking handles things for Windows.
> Once PPP is running, you can authenticate using PAP. It kinda sounds
> like GNOME didn't configure pppd correctly to login. My experience
> with chat scipts is they're way too fragile for any kind of mobile
> environment. The slightest change to what is expected and you won't
> login. With PAP and pppd, that problem disappears, unless you dial
> into a modem bank that is ancient and doesn't understand the PPP
> start message instead of a username. The Linux PPP HOWTO should
> provide everything you need to verify the config GNOME wrote and fix
> whatever is broke.

Pretty positive:  If I dialup via minicom, it expects a typed login/pass
before starting PPP on its end.  It is Level 3's pool in ATL, if that
helps, and I expect that their pools everywhere else are pretty much the
same.

Here is what happens (loosely, do not have the ability to copy and paste
since I am not near the phone line at this point):

CONNECT 43333

Login: user at tenex.org
Password: <password>

 Starting PPP
 IP Address 4.x.x.x

<No further output echoed or sent; assuming that it is waiting for a PPP
start message>.

I can try a different pool of modems from a different network (I am
pretty sure that there are at least 2 different pooled networks
available).  I will have to try tomorrow evening.  :-/

	- Mike