[ale] Any PPP-versed people here?

Jason Fritcher jkf at wolfnet.org
Sun Sep 24 22:50:01 EDT 2006

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> However, there is a bit of a problem:  GNOME's network properties quite
> happily offers to set up PPP for me, but it does not work.  I looked at
> the chat script it uses, and it just looks for CONNECT and passes off to
> pppd, it appears, but what I need it to do is enter the username and
> password, look for "PPP", and /then/ hand off the connection to pppd.  I
> cannot find any options for that in the configuration program, and I do
> not remember hardly anything about setting up PPP links by hand.  I am
> using Ubuntu (Dapper), so if there is something that elegantly fits,
> that would be awesome, but, honestly, anything is better than nothing at
> all.  :-)

Are you sure that you need to use the chat script to login before starting up PPP? Every modern modem pool in existence should recognize the PPP start message instead of a username and switch to PPP mode. That's how Dial-Up Networking handles things for Windows. Once PPP is running, you can authenticate using PAP. It kinda sounds like GNOME didn't configure pppd correctly to login. My experience with chat scipts is they're way too fragile for any kind of mobile environment. The slightest change to what is expected and you won't login. With PAP and pppd, that problem disappears, unless you dial into a modem bank that is ancient and doesn't understand the PPP start message instead of a username. The Linux PPP HOWTO should provide everything you need to verify the config GNOME wrote and fix whatever is broke.

--
 Jason K. Fritcher
  jkf at wolfnet.org

pub  1024D/85D1A012 2003-03-04 Jason K. Fritcher <jkf at wolfnet.org>
     Key fingerprint = AFA3 B816 DECD AC49 4B40  0C28 38F8 83E0 85D1 A012