[ale] GA Tech Install Fest

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Thu Sep 21 12:57:38 EDT 2006

On 9/20/2006 at 1:49 PM Christopher Fowler wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 11:40 -0600, JK wrote:
>> Sure, but OTOH, most people don't want to be strong in the
>> ways of *nix (or *indows, or whatever).  They just want
>> to get their work done, or pull down their pr0n, or
>> whatever.
>
>I'm talking about computer professionals.  Not people in general. I'm
>not for giving people an easy way out when learning.  Grandma gets
>Ubuntu.  Young kid that is in my UNIX class and is on his way to a BS in
>CS gets something that he needs to work with.  FreeBSD :)

Funny you should mention it.  I have a client whose wife finally forced him to get a computer because she was tired of relying on him for email, office documents, internet, etc.  She took a computer class with her husband about 10 years ago, and he wouldn't let her touch the computer because he was afraid she'd break it.  (He's the one that they needed to worry about).  Anyway, she feels like she's being left behind by technology and is *over* it NOW.

So she got her first computer last week with Windows XP on it preinstalled.  I had a Ubuntu disk ready to install to make it a dualboot system, then noticed it was an AMD-64 box. :c)  So we postponed installing Ubuntu until (oh, about five minutes from now...).  By the end of the day she'll be on Ubuntu.

Did I mention she's 82?

Robert~