[ale] bigger disks under RAID1 with RHL 9 or RHEL4 on DellPowerEdge?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Sep 21 10:06:42 EDT 2006

We use Dell with PERC here.

Note that there are different PERC versions and even OEMs (Adapatec and
LSI).   Haven't done what you say in Linux.  Asked the Windows guys who
have been using them far longer and they've never done it either.

I doubt the growfs/mdadm for software RAID would deal with hardware RAID
of PERC.

My guess is it wouldn't work.  You'd likely be limited to your original
partition sizes on the hardware RAID device (e.g. /dev/sda) which can be
seen with fdisk -l /dev/sda.  It would be interesting to try on a test
system.   Perhaps it would extend the 4th partition automatically (the
Win95 ext) and allow you to create additional extended partition.   I
wouldn't try it on an existing production system unless I had a full
backup and was ready to do a reload and restore.