[ale] GA Tech Install Fest

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Sep 20 13:22:24 EDT 2006

Gopher?

The love boooot, exciting and newwwwwww

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of
To: ale at ale.org
Christopher Fowler
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:02 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] GA Tech Install Fest

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:09 -0600, JK wrote:
> Christopher Fowler wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, Chris, do you believe that Fedora
> is a better distro choice for complete newbies than
> Ubuntu?  Personally, having tried them both, I would be
> far more likely to recommend Ubuntu to newbies (though
> personally I use Fedora and Slackware mostly).

<commence flamewar>
Ubuntu is great for noobs.  Fedora is good for noobs who will be our
future in the Computer Science field.

When I started out there was not much out there for noobs.  Things were
difficult and I feel it made me stronger.  There was no module support
and compiling a kernel was almost always a requirement.  Getting X to
work sometimes meant to use vim as your X configuration tool.  Gopher
was your friend.