[ale] DSL -> Cable

Brian Stanaland brian.stanaland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 11:09:19 EDT 2006

I know I'm late getting in on this thread and it's taken a different
direction from when it started.  But here goes..I have used Charter for
cable and internet since 2000.  I switched from the local utility company
because they well, because they were awful.  Anyway, I started out on the
1.5 Meg package and it was a big improvement.  There were problems at the
beginning that turned out to be a leak at the curb tombstone.  I moved to
another place and had no problems at all for the year and a half I was
there.  Moved to another house where the internet access would go down at
least once every other week.  Never did get a real solution to what was
happening.  When I moved to this house a couple of weeks ago I found out
that the 1.5 Meg had been upgraded to 3 Meg a long time ago but I was still
paying the 1.5 Meg rate.  I went ahead and upgraded to 10 Meg.  So far I've
had to call once and the tech got me back online in 5-6 minutes.  As far as
the setup goes, the cable modem does the authentication and I've had several
brands of routers and a linux box acting as router over the years.  I used
to use Packet8 for telephone service and it sounded great.  I'll get VOIP
again.  So far I've had dynamic IP addresses stay the same for a month or
more at a time but never less than a week.  If I remember right, you have to
have the digital cable service to get internet access.  I myself will never
use anyone but Charter if it's available where I live.

On 8/25/06, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 14:36 -0400, James Sumners wrote:
> > I won't be watching the Rose Bowl period :)
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken they have to offer the local channel only package.
> > They don't have to list it, but they have to give it to you if you ask
> > for it. That certainly doesn't stop them from continually calling and
> > trying to sell you the regular basic package, though.
> >
> > On 8/25/06, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:
> > > Not directly, but I'm surprised that they haven't bumped you into
> basic
> > > digital. They don't even have a basic analog only package listed
> > > anymore. Also the analog channels will be cut off by 12/31/06 and
> unless
> > > you have a digital tuner (QAM256 capable) you won't be watching the RI
> ose
> > > Bowl on 1/1/07. At least that's the propaganda that I've been given by
> > > Charter. Supposedly that's part of all the recent changes.
> > > --
> > > Scott Castaline aka Bad2theBone
> >
> I do believe that OTA signals must be digital by end of Feb 2007 and
> Charter planned to do their final conversion by 12 31 2006. Supposedly
> someone is supposed to be making Digtal to Analog boxes for OTA and of
> course the standard Digital box for cable.
> --
> Scott Castaline aka Bad2theBone
>
> Hey! I was born crazy, what's your excuse?

"Anyone who has the power to make
you believe absurdities has the power
to make you commit atrocities."

-- Voltaire