[ale] car audio mp3 player (how to make disks)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Sep 20 00:17:47 EDT 2006

As it happens, I just did this for the first time in preparation for a
long out-of-town trip.

For starters, I exported a PDF transcript of Neil Armstrong's 2001
interview from the Johnson Space Center Oral History Project to text,
piped the text into Festival (text-to-speech converter), used sox, sed,
and lame to cut the result up into 5-minute MP3s.

Then, I used Grip on all 17 Harry Potter 6 CDs, and let it create an
11GB tree of .wav files.  I wrote a script to make duplicate trees in
flac and MP3, and I burned the MP3s to a single CD.  Works wonders, and
I don't have to fling CDs around in the car to go through the whole book.

Jeff