[ale] car audio mp3 player (how to make disks)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Sep 19 13:08:23 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 12:25, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 11:38:11PM -0700, Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> > The sound unit in my car is a fairly recent unit that is supposed to not
> > only be able to play regular CDs but is also supposed to be able to
> >  play MP3 audio disks.
[snipage]
> > is there some special directory layout I need to follow?
> > Any suggestions from this group?
>
> I have two different units in two of my vehicles. I also have a couple of
> personal players.
>
> Standard ISO 9660 data disk with 8.3 file names works fine.

It's my understanding that the [MeSsyDOS 8.3 file name] <> [long file name]
translations are what the Rockridge extensions to the Standard ISO 9660 are
about. Like the players mentioned above, the ones that I have used were
limited to 8.3 file names, so Rockridge is essential unless you want to
manually rename all your tunes to cryptic limits before you put them on CD.
"Bob_Dylan-Where_Have_You_Been_My_Blue_Eyed_Son.mp3"
==> BDWYBBES.MP3  ??   :-PITA

> My Sony unit recognizes directories as albums and has skip album buttons.

But still 8.3 limits on names, right?

> My cheap unit treats it as a single 157 song disk ignoring directories.

I recommend keeping the songs at the mount level for portability. With
an average song being ~ 3 min == ~3 meg MP3, having more that a couple
hundred entries on a CD would be the exception.

peace
aaron